Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Truth About Werewolves

Larry:
We have on our show tonight, Kevin P. Howard. Kevin is the grandson of the famous werewolf, Scott Howard, on whose life the movie Teen Wolf was loosely based. Kevin is an outspoken preternatural rights activist and founder of People Against the Defamation of Lycans. Welcome Kevin.

Werewolf:
Thanks Larry, I’m glad to be here.


Larry:
Now, unless I’m mistaken, you’re just one of the thousands of werewolves now living in the United States. Is that correct?

Werewolf:
Yes. But we prefer to be called Lycan-Americans.

Larry:
Oh, my apologies. So, you insist that werewol…Lycan-Americans are greatly misunderstood.

Werewolf:

That’s right Larry. Thanks to the negative portrayals of lycans by the media and news outlets, Hollywood horror-films, and the smear campaign led by vampire supremacists, we lycans have been receiving a bad rap for centuries! However, the stereotype of lycans as bloodthirsty beasts that engage in deviant criminal behaviours, such as howling at the full moon, going from town to town devouring people and overturning the neighbour’s trashcans late at night, is simply not accurate. The truth is, Lycan-Americans are no different from anyone else. [begins to scratch behind his ear with his toes]

Larry:
You mentioned vampire supremacists. Who are they?

Werewolf:
Well first let me be clear that most vampires are decent people. Sure they may enjoy the coppery taste of warm pig’s blood every now and then…but who doesn’t? However, there are a few vampires—underscore a few—that believe that the undead are the only preternatural creatures deserving of respect. We suspect that these so-called vampire supremacist have played a fundamental role in the negative press that lycans have received over the years.

Larry:
What about the sexual harassment lawsuit that was brought against you three months ago? I know the charges were eventually dropped…but I’m sure it must have been a very difficult time for you.

Werewolf:
[becoming visibly upset, almost to the point of tears] I have to be honest with you Larry, those allegations were more painful than a silver bullet through the heart! I mean, I have a wife and three cubs…you have no idea how much suffering that fiasco caused my family and I. Those charges were just another example of the type of ignorance I was referring to earlier.

Larry:
How so?

Werewolf:
You see, we lycans lack sweat glands…panting is the only way we can keep cool, and there is no need for me to remind you just how hot it was last summer. My co-worker, Mrs. Stevenson, mistook my panting for a lewd gesture. But I have nothing but the utmost respect for women and I would never deliberately engage in behaviour that would make a female co-worker uncomfortable or that could be interpreted as misogynistic.

Larry:
Well, having met you face to face it is hard for me to believe you would. [pats the werewolf on the shoulder] I must express how sorry I am that you and your family had to undergo such an awful experience…and all due to a simple misunderstanding! If there were one thing you could say to all our viewers tonight, what would it be?

Werewolf:
Simply put, that lycans are people too!

Larry:
I couldn’t ask for a more eloquent summary. Thank you for being here this evening Kevin.

Werewolf:
Thank you for having me Larry.